[tlhIngan Hol] the different meanings of {qeq}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Jul 11 09:44:44 PDT 2019

As has been pointed out, we don’t know exactly how the noun {moQbara’} is used in a sentence; we’re not sure what verbs are appropriate for it. We also don’t have great examples of {qeq} being used with a direct object. Maybe {qeq} is fine as a verb with  {moQbara’} as the direct object. The English gloss doesn’t fit perfectly, but it’s as close as other words we do know. Certainly people will figure out what you mean.

If you want to be hyper-conservative and say something fewer could argue is incorrect, you might say {moQbara’ laHwIj vIleHmeH jIqeq.} That’s pretty precise and explicit. {moQbara’ vIqeq} would be shorter, but it assumes the verb-object relationship that, while probably fine, hasn’t been confirmed.

Of course I’m assuming that {laH} works as a direct object of {leH}, but there is a point at which one must make assumptions to use a language. The gloss works better, at least.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.