[tlhIngan Hol] Joining two questions with {pagh}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sun Jan 27 14:47:50 PST 2019

On 1/4/2019 10:46 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> I am wondering, whether it is actually correct to join two "yes or no"
> questions with {pagh}.
>
> If I write {Sojvam vIpar'a' pagh Sojvam vIparHa''a'} for "do I like
> this food or do I dislike it ?"
>
> Then would it be an acceptable construction ?
While I agree with others that we don’t know whether or not it’s an acceptable construction, it seems like it would be nice to offer some alternatives. Mostly, it doesn’t seem very stylistically succinct. It’s a remarkable number of redundant words.

You aren’t adding any additional information to the basic {Sojvam vIpar’a’?} Answering that question with “yes” or “no” gives exactly the same information as answering which of the two opposite questions gets a “yes”.

If you want to convey ambivalence, then just say so: {Sojvam vIpar ‘e’ vISIv.} It’s not really a question. You are simply indicating that you haven’t made your mind up.

Okrand spoke once about the verb {SIv} with Sentence As Object in HolQeD. He didn’t go into much detail.

charghwI’ ‘utlh