[tlhIngan Hol] Tempting..

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jan 9 07:12:31 PST 2019

On 1/9/2019 9:54 AM, Alan Anderson wrote:
>> I mean, who actually gives a crap how the others are doing anyway..
> Don’t confuse “not asking as part of starting a conversation” with “not caring”. There’s nothing wrong with niceties in Klingon if you really mean them.

Right. The idea is that you honor a Klingon by dealing straight with
them, not beating around the bush, possibly deceiving or manipulating
them. Klingons appreciate this straightforwardness. Thus, in one example
when the Terran in /Power Klingon/ successfully concludes a deal by
being straightforward, the Klingon says *batlh malja' DaHuq,* and in the
other he says *Ha'! DaH matlhutlh.* The deal concluded, potential
problems avoided, the participants are now free to engage in
pleasantries, secure in the knowledge that no one is trying to get one
over on them. But since they're already waaaaay past the "Hi, nice day,
can we talk" stage, those aren't things one would have any reason to say.