[tlhIngan Hol] Context of {bang}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 12 09:28:13 PST 2019

(st.klingon):  the word bang is indeed a noun meaning love, but it refers to the object of one's affection, that is, beloved one. (In Star Trek III, Kruge refers to Valkris as bangwI' "my love" in this sense.)
  Qapla' jawwI' bangwI' je
  Success my lord and my love. ST3

[Before you ask, jaw is an alternative form of joH.]

  reH bang larghlu'
  Love is always smelled.
  (lit. "A loved one is always smelled.") TKW

  HIchop, bang
  Give us a kiss, love. RT

For the emotional or physical response called “love” – though “lust” would probably be closer to the mark - use parmaq:

(KGT 199):  ... parmaq, conventionally translated love or romance (though the Klingon concept is far more aggressive than the Federation Standard translations imply)

(KGT 207):  there are some words that simply do not translate. One must resort to descriptions rather than simple one- or two-word translations, and one must be a quite facile in the language and knowledgeable of the culture to understand the concepts. ... So is parmaq, the Klingon term for an aggressive sort of romantic feeling.
--
Voragh

From: SuStel