[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ta'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 7 07:07:48 PST 2019

Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, February 07, 2019

Klingon word: ta'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: deed, accomplishment

  ta'mey Dun, bommey Dun
  Great deeds, great songs. TKW

(KGT 70-71):  Warriors have long celebrated great achievements and key events in song, reinforcing the importance of the accomplishments and actually reliving them while singing. Great deeds are "deeds worthy of song," as the Klingon leader Gowron once put it, and part of the appeal of engaging in battle is the prospect that, if the battle is a really good one, it will be fought over and over again in song.

  Dung qo' pawDI' qeylIS qorDu' je ta''e' neH bop bommey.
  Upon reaching the upper world, no one could speak of anything, but the deeds
   of Kahless and his kin. PB

SEE:
ta'  		accomplish,  do (v)

  vIta'pu'be'
  I didn't do it. TKD

 Qu'Daj ta'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
  To die in the line of duty is the hope of every Klingon. TKW

  DaH nuq ta'pu' Day joH
  What has Lady Di done now? RT

  'oy'naQ DaQeqDI' mIw wa'DIch Data', 'ach 'oy'naQ Dachu'DI' mIw paghDIch Data'
  When you aim the painstik, you accomplish the first step, but when you turn the
   painstik on, you accomplish the zeroth step. KGT

  'oy'naQ Dachu'Ha'DI' mIw HochDIch Data'
  When you turn the painstik off, you accomplish the last step. KGT

  moQbara' 'ay'mey bota'ta'
  You have both finished the forms of the *mok'bara* PB

  jIlay'DI' reH batlh jIpabchugh Qapla'meywIj Hoch vIta'ta' 'e' DaHar'a'
  Did you think that my word of honor would have carried me this far? PB

  DaH nuq wIta'taH?
  What is our current task?  ("What are we accomplishing now?") (qep'a' 2016)

SEE ALSO:
chav 		achievement (n)
tuH 		adventure (n)
wanI' 		phenomenon, event, occurrence (n)

chav 		achieve, attain (v)
ruch 		proceed (v)
vang 		act, take action (v)

--