[tlhIngan Hol] ordering and scope of adverbials relative to timestamps

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 01:48:08 PST 2019

I was telling someone about something that happened (completed happening)
"almost a year ago" and I said {tlhoS wa' ben [qaSpu' wanI']}. But then I
realised that this would be interpreted to mean "one year ago something
almost happened", rather than "almost one year ago something happened". But
for the latter meaning, I would say {wa' ben tlhoS [qaSpu' wanI']}.

Do you consider the sentence order to be fixed (with time stamps always
ahead of adverbials, for example), so that changing the order is either
wrong or just might affect the emphasis and not the meaning? Or would you
interpret the scope to change? How would you say "almost one year ago
[something happened]"? {wa' ben tugh [qaSpu' wanI']}?

--
De'vID