[tlhIngan Hol] Out of curiosity..

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Fri Feb 22 05:55:21 PST 2019

Not to be a spoilsport here, but written Klingon is defined by those who legally own it to be indecipherable and not understood. TKD presents a phonetic alphabet for spoken Klingon. It’s Okrand’s system, not Maltz’s, and since Okrand is the guy who dictates what is or is not the language, that’s the gold standard.

As fans, we can play around with stuff, and I think that’s great. We have a pIqaD alphabet that was not initially approved, and then Skybox came along and now it’s official (I guess).

So, sure, maybe something else we come up with will end up being used by some official entity, but I haven’t really heard a reason to replace Okrand’s romanized TKD alphabet, and there’s a lot of canon out there using it. Jump to something else and new users would suddenly have to learn two systems.

If there were a compelling reason besides, “wouldn’t it be cool if…”, I could get behind it. I mean, it’s important to keep things interesting, but I’m not sure that the confusion this would probably create would be worth an actual shift.

I’d see it more like the running joke we had for a while that we had when some of us wrote Klingon text backwards as a code (keeping the ligatures internally forward), just to see who could figure out what was being written. It was fun. It was interesting. We didn’t suggest we start writing everything backwards, though. Some human languages go right to left. I work with them.

And at one point, Klingon was supposed to be read/written from the middle outward, but that was just to be weird. Eyes don’t track that pattern very well...

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.