[tlhIngan Hol] Out of curiosity..

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Thu Feb 21 13:47:23 PST 2019

> On Feb 21, 2019, at 12:13, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> how would we distinguish between the q and Q ?

The one other place where case matters is in distinguishing between ng+H and n+gh. I don’t think there are any word pairs where the difference would cause confusion, but that doesn’t mean there never will be.

For example, nobody is going to think that NENGHEP is nengHep, or that VENGHOM is venghom if they know the words nenghep and vengHom.

Using qh for Q could be problematic in a similar way for distinguishing q+H from Q. For example, is baqha' baqHa' or baQa'?

An encoding like xifan hol or a system with diacritics would avoid these issues.

FWIW I found SuStel’s example texts perfectly readable, but it does seem that old habits are hard to break (I saw a “DaH” in there rather than “Dah”, for example.) Also, I wonder, since qaghwI' can’t exactly be capital or lowercase, if the vowel following a qaghwI' in a word that begins with qaghwI' should be the one to be capitalized instead. For example:

Qu' dataghdi' 'Aktu' Mellota' je tikaw.