[tlhIngan Hol] Can I say maQeHchuqchoHmoH ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Fri Feb 1 06:10:07 PST 2019

I often feel that you prejudice posts from me with a visceral emotion that shades whatever I say before you’ve read it. We have a history, so I understand that. I then have to take a breath and make a sincere effort to not respond in kind.

First, I did not slip up and mistakenly say {jISuvmoH}. I quite intentionally said that to please you and make it clear that I agree with you in terms of syntax. You seem to have missed that entirely. The suffix {-moH} does not require a syntactic direct object. I get that. I have no interest in suggesting otherwise.

I had no intention of exaggerating Okrand’s explanation of {ghoS}. He spent more time on that one verb than anything else in the interview, and what he said was quite new, quite intentional, giving us a new understanding of what it meant.

His point was, from my current interpretation, that the difference between {leng} and {ghoS} is similar in character to the difference between {-pu’} and {-ta’}. There’s an intentionality to {ghoS}. Basically verbs like {ghoS}, {bav}, and {vegh} involve a subject moving along a specific path identified by the direct object.

You are completely correct that syntacticly there is no requirement of a direct object. My point was that these verbs are semantically meaningless without there being a direct object implied, if not stated.

The specific example you gave highlights this, because of the suffix {-choH}, which is not mentioned in the translation, any more than the direct object was. Okrand doesn’t mechanically translate word by word  and suffix by suffix like Google Translate does. He expresses a meaning in Klingon and then expresses something like the same meaning in English. The meaning is not exactly the same because different languages color the expression of every idea. Klingon is a language, not a code.

If syntax was all that was important, then it probably would be a code and not a language. The specifics of meaning of each word is often difficult to translate well. It’s the biggest challenge when working with any two languages. This is why Okrand felt it important to place so much emphasis on the subtlety of meaning of {ghoS} that he apparently believed that we Klingonists were not showing evidence that we understood up to that time.

The function of {-choH} in your selected canon example is that the implied direct object (syntactically missing, but semantically implied) is, in fact, the thing that is changed. Before the change and after the change, the ship is moving. The act of moving has not changed. The unmentioned course is the thing that changes when you {ghoSchoH}.

This is remarkably different from {QeH}. You can change the state of {QeH}, and that could be a change in either direction, from non-anger to anger (as you and several other seem to think is the exclusive possibility), or it can change from anger to non-anger. If your point is to suggest change, then that is what you are suggesting.

If, instead, you mean to suggest that one is causing anger, then {-choH} is actually misleading. It’s vague and distracting from your point. It requires you to know what the state of anger was, and what it has become by the change. The far simpler idea of causing anger is almost certainly closer to the meaning intended.

EVERY verb could ALWAYS use {-choH} if all you mean is that before the action, the action wasn’t happening, but now that you are acting, there is a CHANGE to the action happening. Syntactically this is true. Semantically, {-choH} is not appropriate, unless the change is the focus of the expression.

The two functions of {-choH} are:

1. To emphasize a change of state or action, as opposed to the simple occurrence of the state or action.

2. To emphasize the moment that the state or action changed. To highlight the starting moment as part of a time stamp.

You are right in general about syntax. Meanwhile, the syntax exists to serve the semantic function of expressing an idea. If you have perfect syntax with poor semantic function, then you aren’t communicating very well. It’s like perfectly enunciating the wrong words. There’s clarity, and then, there’s Clarity.

My interest is in helping people communicate better with the Klingon language. Yes, it is important to get the syntax right. It is important to understand the syntax rules. But it’s also important to know if your perfect syntactic construction is meaningful.

Ironically, I’m apparently a bad communicator. Sincere apologies for that.

charghwI’ ‘utlh