[tlhIngan Hol] Qongchu', ngavyaw' mach

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Dec 10 08:13:08 PST 2019

On 12/10/2019 10:57 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 10.12.2019 um 16:49 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
>> But why translate "wolf" as {ngavyaw'} ?
>
> Becaue I think it's larger than a {qovIj}.
>
> But after all, it's just my personal decision. Any discussion about
> where the line is will lead to nothing.

This is a *ngavyaw':*

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNjFlNmU2ZDMtZWE4OS00YmFiLTkwYWItNzU2NGQ5YTM1MmVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5NjM0NA@@._V1_.jpg

This is a *qovIj:*

https://i.stack.imgur.com/2yxpj.jpg

This is a closer shot of a *qovIj:*

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/1/1f/Klingon_dog%2C_Star_Trek_III.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100118171801&path-prefix=en

This is a wolf:

https://www.dw.com/image/45189092_303.jpg

None of these creatures particularly resemble each other beyond being
"canine-like." Lieven hasn't picked *ngavyaw'* because it's the way you
translate /wolf;/ he just picked one of the two canine-like animals we
have names for and substituted it.

Unfortunately, this means people will start to think that *ngavyaw'*
means /wolf,/ especially since it's a picture book with pictures of a
wolf, not a *ngavyaw'.*

Personally, I probably would have just transliterated /wolf/ as *wulv*
or something.