[tlhIngan Hol] can we apply {ngagh} to humans ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Dec 18 09:50:18 PST 2019

On 12/18/2019 12:24 PM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
> Klingons mate. Humans mate too. They might label it "making love",
> "having sex", "shagging", "doing it", "making the beast with two
> backs" or something else to try to differentiate it from what the rest
> of the biological world does, but it's still mating.

Sure, but what we're interested in is labels, or words. Outside of a
science-fiction context, nobody speaking modern English says /mate/ to
refer to people having sex.

*ngagh* and *nga'chuq* seems to refer to basically the same sort of act.
The question is, do they get more specific?

>     Or is it primarily used for animals ?
>

> Humans and Klingons *are *animals.

But languages usually distinguish between people and non-people, and
Klingon basically does this in its capable-of-using-language suffixes
and its pronouns. The distinction here may be important in Klingon. It
is in English.