[tlhIngan Hol] what does this {-vIp} mean ?

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 06:05:57 PST 2019

Original question:
> If I write {jIlujvIp}, then what does it mean ?
> I'm afraid to fail
> I'm afraid (that) I'll fail
> Or can it mean both ?

Desperate to find the answer, I did the inconceivable..

I touched our sacred manuscript.. The actual physical holy relic.. And
with trembling hands, there, on p. 37, I found the ancient words of
wisdom..

{choHoHvIp}
you are afraid to kill me

{nuqIpvIp}
they are afraid to hit us

As it seems, the presence of {-vIp}, gives only the meaning of "the
subject is afraid to do whatever", and not "the subject is afraid
(that) he will do whatever".

But I *still* can't stop wondering..

In the subsequent holy Ca'Non, has there ever been an instance, of the
{-vIp} being translated as "the subject is afraid (that) he will do
whatever" ?

~ mayqel qunen'oS
wa' jaj, yo' qIj wImuvjaj.