[tlhIngan Hol] QochHa'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Aug 15 12:14:27 PDT 2019

On 8/15/2019 3:00 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> It’s ironic, in that it’s a cultural explanation for how to use
> certain words, and you often and vociferously have objected to the
> idea that we should look at the language through the filter of “What
> would a Klingon say?”…
>
> But it is based on canon, so it’s clearly valid.

Precisely. I'm (a) admitting that it's very speculative and (b) basing
it on a canonical description of a speculative cultural influence on
Klingon grammar. I do not object to cultural explanations, only to using
non-canonical cultural explanations to decide grammatical matters.

We have lots of cultural explanations guiding us. /Power Klingon /tells
us all about the reasons why the only greeting is *nuqneH* and why you
use replacement and secrecy proverbs. /Klingon for the Galactic
Traveler/ tells us when it's appropriate to use slang and which cohorts
pronounce things certain ways and why the various idioms mean what they
mean. We're told about cultural taboos against using certain words and
suffixes. These things all have their bases in Okrandian canon. But when
someone says something like "Klingons don't like to humble themselves,
so there is no way to apologize in Klingon," they're just making stuff
up, and it's as inoperative as someone else saying the Klingon word for
/hard drive/ is *letSeD.*