[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'a

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 14 08:13:31 PDT 2019

Klingon word: 'a
Part of speech: conj
Definition: but, nevertheless, even so, however
Source: TKD, qep'a' 25

The short form of {'ach}:
(TKD 55):  This word is sometimes shortened to {'a}.

notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH
War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming. ST6

Do'natu vaghDaq DIvI' wIlulpu' 'a qaStaHvIS poH veb mayonchoHchu'pu'.
We have become complacent in the time since we last battled the
  Federation at Donatu V. (DSC/Qov "Battle At the Binary Stars" [NON-CANON])

My notes indicated that {'ach} was glossed as "whereas" at qep'a' 2018 where a similar idiom was also revealed:
(qep'a' 2018):   expressing contrast.  But there’s also an idiomatic expression:  {ro’ mojchugh ghIt" "if the flat hand becomes a fist".  Used in a similar fashion to the English "on the other hand".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons