[tlhIngan Hol] to comma or not to comma ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 16 08:40:48 PDT 2019

Punctuation marks often have several uses.  The ellipsis shows (often meaningful) pauses - especially when accompanied by a distinctive intonation - in dialogue as well as indicating omitted text in a long quotation.  In my emails, I try to indicate the latter by putting them in brackets.  E.g.

“Well… I guess I’ll be leaving now.”

"An ellipsis […] is a punctuation mark consisting of three dots. […] Ellipses save space or remove material that is less relevant"

Voragh

On Behalf Of mayqel qunen'oS

SuStel:
> Don't use it to show verbal pauses. (If you must show verbal pauses,
> only do so when reporting dialogue, and use an  ellipsis.)

I didn't know either what was an ellipsis in grammar, so googling it, I found:

"An ellipsis (plural: ellipses) is a punctuation mark consisting of three dots. Use an ellipsis when omitting a word, phrase, line, paragraph, or more from a quoted passage. Ellipses save space or remove material that is less relevant"

By saying "verbal pauses" you mean parts of a dialogue where no one speaks, right ?

But isn't the ellipsis purpose, to omit words ?

~ ckckckk