[tlhIngan Hol] the "bully" of {'Irgh}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 9 07:43:53 PDT 2019

I agree with niqolay Q:  {‘Irgh } is probably not limited to children since Okrand also translated it as “intimidate, harass, pick on”.  (Though “pick on” also tends to be used with children.)

Note that we also have the verbs {nuQ} “annoy, bother”, {naH} “be hostile, malicious, unfriendly, antagonistic”, and {vaQ} “be aggressive”.

For those not familiar with that PCHC anti-bullying-in-schools message, here it is in full:

tera' DIS cha' pagh wa' wej meHghem Qat Sub boq cherlu'.
vay' mIpmoHbe' DIvI'vam, 'ej Hov leng qangtlhIn pabchu'.
qum DuSaQmeyDaq 'Irghbe'meH ghotpu' nabmey ghojmoH,
  'ej pIj tay'taH Doch pIm num.
Da'Irghlu'chugh, potlhqu' Huch Daghaqbogh, 'ej yInmey
  lutoDlu'meH Qu' 'ut wItur 'e' QaH noblIj.
pItlho'.   maHvaD Huch Daghaqmo', bIquvqu'.

In 2013, Popular Culture Hero Coalition was established.
This organization does not enrich anyone (financially), and it
  perfectly follows the ideology of Star Trek.
In public schools, it teaches procedures so that people don't
  bully, and it promotes Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.
If you were bullied, money that you contribute is very important, and
  your gift will help us carry out an essential mission so that lives are saved.
We thank you. Because you contribute money to us, you are very honored.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of nIqolay Q