[tlhIngan Hol] {net jalchugh} and the various "then"

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 07:35:26 PDT 2019

My impression of {nbugh} and {ghIq} is that they are for establishing a sequence of events, not conditional and causal relationships.

wo’rIv HIv qIrq, ngugh qIrq DuQ wo’rIv — Kirk hit Worf at the same time Worf stabbed Kirk.

Sisko qIp Q, ghIq Q qIpqu’ Sisko — Q punched Sisko, then Sisko decked Q.

In the ancient cat example, the relationship is more causal: you bought the ancient cat because you are rich; or you bought the ancient cat while you were rich (but are no longer rich). It’s about the meaning behind the relationship between you being rich, and you buying the cat.

—jevreH

Sent from my iPad