[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "painted with his blood"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 24 08:44:23 PDT 2019

Felix mentioned it, but here’s more information on this brand-new verb from qepHom 2018:  {wev} “sketch, doodle, draw [quickly]”:

[Lieven < MO, posted 10/18/2018]:  Maltz says there is a verb {wev} that means “sketch” or “doodle”. The object of this verb is the image that's drawn. The notion is that it is a quick drawing, not a careful one. In English, the word “doodle” implies that the person doing the doodling is not paying attention to what is being drawn or sketched. The person is at a meeting or on hold on the phone and is bored perhaps. The Klingon word does not necessarily have this connotation. Sometimes the picture that results from {wev}-ing is identifiable (so if you say {DI'raq vIwev}, hopefully you end up with a picture that is identifiable as a sheep-like animal). But sometimes the result is not easily identifiable or namable — it's just circles or squiggles or jagged lines or a mishmash of things. In that case, the “picture” can be called a {yay}. <…> Although the implement used to {wev} the drawing/sketch/doodle could be anything, it is not common to use {wev} if the implement is a {rItlh naQ}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: Felix Malmenbeck

I would use {ngoH}, meaning "smear" (TKD) or "paint using fingers" (KGT).
I don't believe we have any canonical sentences using this word, but from the original gloss being "smear", I strongly suspect it takes the "ink" one uses as its object.

jagh Duj Daq [cha'/ghItlh/wev/ngu'/'ang/'agh]meH la', yavDaq 'IwDaj ngoHta'.

From: mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com<mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>>

When the the verb DIj "paint with a pigment stick" was explained, we learned that it can be used for producing a visual image, even if no paint or pigment stick is involved, for example with a pencil, or with a device or computer software.

Assume we want to say: "while the injured commander was dying, he drew on the ground with his blood, the location of enemy ship". How would we write it ?

Would the following be correct ?

{jagh Duj Daq cha'meH la', yav DIjta'; DIjmeH 'IwDaj lo'ta'}
"the commander, in order to show the location of the enemy ship, painted the ground; in order to paint he used his blood"

Now, because I *know* someone is itching to say "you don't paint the location of the enemy ship"..

This is an example used to ask, how we actually specify, "the what is being used to draw something".

So, there is no actual need for someone trying to be smart, saying crap like "the commander would just say the location instead of painting it".