[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Apr 10 11:45:27 PDT 2019

On 4/10/2019 2:37 PM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 10.04.2019 um 18:47 schrieb SuStel:

>> English has a lot of words whose meanings change if they've got a
>> preposition associated with them.
>
> Then why did Okrand write "reach" and not "reach for"? Or, the other way
> around: why was there any confusion about this word, if the meaning
> changes with the preposition? Okrand usually gives the prepostion when
> needed (as in "pay for").

He usually does now, but he wasn't so careful when writing TKD. He
started out by admitting that the definition given in TKD is inadequate.

Maybe he had the /Star Trek/ episode "The Way to Eden" in mind. "I reach
that, brother." "He is not Herbert. We reach." (WARNING! Made-up /Star
Trek/ slang!)

Somebody ask Okrand how to say Herbert in Klingon!