[tlhIngan Hol] New words from "Miniatur Wunderland"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Apr 2 12:50:06 PDT 2019

On 4/2/2019 3:12 PM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
> See, this is where I interpret the English differently from you. I
> interpret the list of "or"s as examples of different ways of looking
> at the same thing (same with "adds a meaning of smallness and/or lack
> of importance"). Like how {ghoS} can mean "approach" or "go away from"
> or "proceed" or "come" or "follow (a course)" depending on the
> context, or {-Daj} can mean "his" or "her" or "its". For me, {-Hom}
> and {-'a'} mean all the things listed, with some objects leaning more
> toward one of the meanings than the other depending on context, but
> when I read a word like {naQHom} I think of it as a {naQ} that can be
> smaller, and/or less important, and/or less powerful. It can be one,
> it can be all.
>
> Based on the examples in TKD, and KGTs "meaning of smallness", it
> seems like if there is just a change in size, then the change is more
> than what {tIn/mach} can do by themselves. The {tajHom} on a {Daqtagh}
> aren't *just* small knives, they are tiny mini-blades. {SuSHom} is a
> tiny "wisp of air". {woQ'a'} is "ultimate power".
>
> Ultimately, this is my point: {-Hom} doesn't equal {mach}, and {-'a'}
> doesn't equal {tIn}, there is much more to the suffixes than those two
> words.

Agreed about the /or./ When Okrand lists meanings like that, he's not
giving you a menu from which you make a single selection; he's trying to
transmit the gist. The Klingon suffix *-Hom* has just one meaning: it's
the concept embodied in the meshing of the ideas of smallness, lack of
importance, and lack of power. The single idea that covers all those
things is *-Hom.* It's only the fact that we don't have a common word
for it in English — or German, so far as I know — that makes it confusing.

So no matter how long you hold a shrink ray on me, I never become a
*loDHom, *only a *loD mach,* or now, if you keep going, a *loD nu'.*