[tlhIngan Hol] How do we say "burp" ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 17 13:48:18 PDT 2019

lugh Jeffrey:

(HQ 12.4:8): When air (or gas) from the stomach [{burgh}] works its way up and comes out of the mouth (often noisily), one is said to {ruq} "belch".  Maltz said it is acceptable to refer to this gas as {SIp}, a general word for gas of any kind, but that gas produced within the body is known as {Qep'It}.  When, rather than gas, undigested or partially digested food comes up, one is said to {'em}, "vomit"///

(MO to Lieven, 8/03/2015):  The noun is {Qep'It} and the verb is {ruq}.  Both of these words can be used for gas that comes up from your gut and out of your mouth and also for gas that goes down from your gut and out the other way.  If it's necessary to make the distinction (for Klingons, it isn't always necessary), use phrases involving {nuj} [mouth] or {Hugh} [throat] or {Sa'Hut} [ass, rear end, buttocks].

SEE ALSO:
rID 		digest (v)
bor 		gurgle (v)
rech 		exhale, breath out (v)