[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Apr 11 00:17:52 PDT 2019

Am 10.04.2019 um 22:53 schrieb De'vID:
> Huh?

Just to be clear: I am really just asking this because of lack of
knowledge, without any sarcasm or irony or nitpicking or whatsoever.

> {DIl} means that the subject is giving out something, to obtain
> something or fulfil a financial obligation. A short way to gloss that in
> English is "pay for". But English is inconsistent in that you pay for a
> meal, pay rent, pay off a mortgage, etc.

It's similar in German, but also slightly different, so that's why many
German translations in boQwI' might be a little off after we got
clarification, even when te English defintion did not change.

"pay" and "pay for" are both "bezahlen", but then other situations use
the word "zahlen".

> Same thing for {SIch}. The intended meaning is something like "extend
> oneself to make contact with the object". A short way to gloss that in
> English is "reach". Meanings related to this are expressed with
> prepositions in English: reach for, reach towards, reach out, etc.

Oh dear - the more I learn about the word "reach", the more confusing it
gets. :-/ Dictionary.com gives me 10 way to use the verb, and then even
the object can be a different one, depending on the preposition.

I'll wait for more examples till I understand this entirely.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"