[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Apr 10 09:47:49 PDT 2019

On 4/10/2019 12:40 PM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
>> I wasn't translating it. If you *SIch* something, you reach for it /and
>> /get it. I didn't say *SIch* means /reach for;/ I said the thing you
>> reach for is the object of *SIch.*
>
> And this is what I thought it is not, but I'm not sure.
>
> I think with {SIch}, you do not reach for something, you reach
> something. There's a big difference between "reach for" and "reach".
>
> It seems like Marc's explanation was not clear enough. 'arHa should ask
> again.

In English, transitive /reach/ has only the /arrive/ meaning. To refer
to the act of stretching out toward something, you use intransitive
/reach/ and add a preposition like /for/ or /toward./

/reach the book/ = arrive at the book's location
/reach for the book/ = extend a hand toward the book (does not imply
grasping it)
/reach for the book/ (in qurgh's dialect) = extend a hand toward the
book and grasp it

English has a lot of words whose meanings change if they've got a
preposition associated with them.