[tlhIngan Hol] Duran lung DIr

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 14:38:58 PDT 2019

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 16:36, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> This is just a feeling, but I think it's just like those non-countable
> things like "water". And I can certainly imagine a cook going to the the
> butcher's and order a specific number of {Duran lung DIrDu'} so he can
> prepare a good dish of {Duran lung DIr}.

If the cook is ordering five pieces of Durani lizard skin from a butcher,
it would be {vagh Duran lungmey DIr}, not *{vagh Duran lung DIrDu'}. I
don't think the latter is possible, as {DIr} is being used in the sense of
a material in this context.

It's like "fur" in English. You don't ask for "five furs", you ask for
"five pelts".

--
De'vID