[tlhIngan Hol] New words from "Miniatur Wunderland"

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Mon Apr 1 18:43:25 PDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 4:40 PM nIqolay Q <niqolay0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 1:08 PM qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:
>
>> I agree. {targhHom} is NEVER just a "small targ", that would be {targh
>> mach}. A {targhHom} is a creature like a targ, but less like a targ than a
>> targ normally is. A {DujHom} isn't just a small ship, it's a different kind
>> of ship.
>>

> I think the accepted usage of *-Hom *and *-'a'* by some Klingonists is
> stricter than what's implied by canon. While *-Hom* can connote a
> different sort of thing from the noun without *-Hom*, this isn't always
> the case. In some cases, a noun with *-Hom* refers to something that is
> presumably the same class as the noun without *-Hom*. A *bo'DaghHom* is
> just a

This is always the case. My statement wasn't that {-Hom} always creates
some new, seperate, concept, it's that {-Hom} never means just "small" by
itself. There has to be more to it.

small scoop, for instance, not an entirely

different utensil. A *SuSHom* is a less intense *SuS*, rather than some
> distinct weather phenomenon that's not quite the same as a volume of moving
> air in the sky. A *naQHom* is just a small stick. In

A {bo'DaghHom} could be a "serving spoon" instead of a just a small
ladle-like scoop, or it might be a specific Klingon utensil we don't know
about get. A {SuSHom} is a "breeze", which some may say is different from
"wind". A {naQHom} is a "twig", not a just "small stick".

Sometimes a lesser thing ends up just being the same thing, only smaller. A
lesser rock is still a rock.

Okrand's phrasing here suggests that while *-Hom* can mean "not quite an
> X", it can *also* mean "lesser X", something that is still an X but in
> some lesser way. In other words, there's no specific category distinction.
> *targhHom* could mean "not quite a targ" (some kind of similar, but
> different, species), but also "lesser targ" (a targ that is in some way
> lesser than other targs but still nonetheless a targ.)

The term "creature" in my statement above includes targs. My statement was
supposed to be general enough to cover both situations you described.

qurgh