[tlhIngan Hol] qIH and -chuq

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Apr 16 09:59:02 PDT 2019

My favorite is definitely voragh’s {qIHchuqmeH puqpu’ma’ mavangnIS}, but I think that {puqpu’ma’ DIqIHchuqnISmoH} definitely works, according to the full range of functionality we’ve seen {-moH} pushed through. We know that if I’m cold and I walk over to a fire, by doing so, {jItuj’eghmoH}. We don’t seem to have a problem with the idea that {jI-} means the same entity is the subject of causation AND the subject of being hot, even though there is no explicit explanation of how this works with one entity identified by the prefix performing both the causing warmth, and the being warm. I don’t think in any other setting {-‘egh} justifies this. Normally, it simply means the one entity is both subject and object of the action of a verb. That’s not quite the same thing as being the causer and the affected.

So, it’s only a smidgeon of a further stretch to interpret {puqpu’ma’ DIqIHchuqnISmoH} as saying that necessity is assigned to “we”, as is causation, while {-chuq} links both of {puqpu’ma’} together as those meeting for the first time. I don’t find this confusing.

The {puqlI’vaD…} version is probably also grammatically correct, if a bit verbose, and perhaps oddly assigning necessity to one exclusive party for no obvious reason. If A and B need to meet for the first time, then why does A need to meet B for the first time without B needing to meet A for the first time?... unless you are suggesting some significant imbalance in political power or emotional stability, in which case, this relationship might be doomed from the onset.

Better to meet as peers, in my humble opinion.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.