[tlhIngan Hol] Clarification on SIch

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Apr 10 09:40:36 PDT 2019

On 4/10/2019 12:01 PM, De'vID wrote:

>     Or can the body part or implement be the subject? *?chabHom bal
>     qoD SIch ghopwIj* /My hand reaches into the cookie jar./
>

> If {chal luSIch beychaj} is possible, I don't see why {ghopwIj} can't
> be the subject of {SIch}.

The interesting thing about this line in /paq'batlh/ is that with the
new information about *SIch,* we must conclude that the howls are not
moving from their mouths and arriving in the sky, but rather stretching
from their mouths to the sky, never actually leaving their mouths. In
English we usually think of a sound as leaving its source and arriving
at a destination; in Klingon — at least, in this sentence — a sound
extends from its source to its destination without being disconnected
from its source.