[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qIm

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Oct 19 10:00:42 PDT 2018

On 10/19/2018 12:33 PM, Ed Bailey wrote:
> I was thinking there was evidence that *qIm* can be used transitively
> to mean "pay attention to, follow." I don't remember the exact line,
> but MO also used *'Ij* transitively in the ST5 notes as I recall.

It is transitive, though we only found that out gradually. For a while
the only hint that *qIm* might be transitive was when it appeared in the
online dictionary hosted by MSN, but we learned that Okrand didn't
provide the glosses for that dictionary, and whoever did took liberties,
so transitive *qIm* was suspect. We had a strong hint with Captain
Klaa's line *HeDaj yIqIm,* though it was unclear whether this was a
single sentence or *HeDaj! yIqIm!* /Her course! Pay attention!/ because
of the way the actor pronounced the two words. Later still the notes to
/Star Trek V/ had *vIqImchoH, *though once again there was a bit of a
question because these lines didn't actually appear in the movie, but by
this point the picture was getting clear. The word is used several times
in /paq'batlh/ as unambiguously transitive (e.g., *beyDaj luqImmo'*).
There may be more recent examples I don't know about. Given this entire
picture, I'd say it's fairly clear that *qIm* is transitive.