[tlhIngan Hol] qepHom 2018 - Games

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 10:00:37 PST 2018

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 2:06 AM Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> So how about {nelmoH}? {A DanelmoH} might mean "you cause A to match,"
> but match what? {A B je DanelmoH} might mean "you cause A and B to
> match," but that doesn't mean A and B are matching each other -- it
> means you cause A and B to match something else -- but what?
>
> The problem is that {nel} takes a subject and an object (the two things
> that match each other), but not a third thing. And you can't use the
> prefix trick with {nelmoH} because there is no non-third-person indirect
> object.
>
> So to give the command "Make A match B," you have to do it
> periphrastically.

I'm a little late on this, but what about *-vaD*? We've seen it used before
for sentences where *-moH* is used on transitive verbs and the original
subject gets relegated to a *-vaD* noun, in the form of *B verb A -> AvaD B
verbmoH X.* Would that not work here? *DochvetlhvaD Dochvam DanelmoH* "You
make this thing match to that thing", or "You make this thing a match
intended for that thing" (to translate *-vaD* a little more literally).