[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "the outside of an object"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 26 08:41:43 PST 2018

I agree with nIqolay Q.  {reD} is what I was about to suggest.  {Hur} seems to be the opposite of {qoD} “inside, interior”, both of which are no doubt “area nouns”.  E.g.

  HurDaq tu'HomI'raHvetlh yIlan
  Get that piece of junk out of here! (KCD)

 qamchIy HurDaq SuvwI’pu’Daj ra’ qeylIS SaqSub yIjaH
  Outside Qam-Chee, Kahless tells his warriors to go to the Saq'sub. (PB)

As for “outer surface” the closest we have is {ghor} “surface (of planet)” – as in “the landing party beamed down to the surface” – and {bIQ beb} “surface of water” (reveled at qep’a’ 2018), neither of which works here.


From: nIqolay Q
I'd interpret {Hur} as "area outside", not "the outer surface of". For the latter meaning, we don't have a specific word yet, though something with {reD} "exterior wall" might be used.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 10:53 AM mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com<mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>> wrote:
If I say {'IH juHlIj Hur} would you understand only "outside of your house is beautiful" or could/would you understand too "the outside of your house is beautiful" ?

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20181126/0c6d2c5a/attachment-0003.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list