[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "some of"

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 05:53:48 PST 2018

jIH:
> tugh, Hargh SuvwI'pu'vam mI'
> soon, a number of these warriors will fight
SuStel:
> SuvwI'pu'vam mI' means these warriors' number, the number of these warriors.
> Are they carrying a sign with an eight on it, and the sign is going to fight some other warriors' number in a duel?

So far so good. I understand SuStel's point. And I accept it.

paq'batlh:
> lutlhej tlhInganpu' Hem mI' nIb

And here, things get strange.

Since paq'batlh doesn't use punctuation, the only way I could see this
sentence "in-keeping" with what has been said so far in this thread,
is if it actually is:

{lutlhej tlhInganpu' Hem. mI' nIb}
proud klingons accompany him. an equal number.

Because, if this isn't the case, and the sentence punctuation-wise
goes: {{lutlhej tlhInganpu' Hem mI' nIb}, then the meaning goes "an
equal number, e.g. 40, grows arms and legs, and starts the
accompanying".

If the paq'batlh sentence is to be accepted as correct, without a dot
following the {Hem}, I really don't see how it is any different from
the one of the initial sentences I wrote: {tugh, Hargh SuvwI'pu'vam
mI'} "soon, a number of these warriors will fight".

Unless, the klingons are selectively stupid..

When they hear, {tugh, Hargh SuvwI'pu'vam mI'}, they are such idiots,
imagining "numbers owned by klingons" doing the fighting while the
real klingon warriors sit by drinking coffee..

And when the hear {{lutlhej tlhInganpu' Hem mI' nIb}, then suddenly
qeylIS enlightens them, and suddenly - 'o of a miracle ! - they get it
!

Or, it is just that whenever we see something written in a book, we
have to bend over backwards in order to explain it and accept it.

~ mayqel qunen'oS