[tlhIngan Hol] Difference between..

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 06:30:12 PST 2018

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018, 15:18 Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de wrote:

> Am 27.11.2018 um 14:11 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> > Can someone explain the difference between {nIteb jIH} and {jImob} ?
>
> {nIteb} describes the situation of an action, the other is an adjective.
> You could even say {nIteb jImob}. "I am (the only one who is) alone".

That meaning is {neH} "only", not {nIteb}, which means "acting alone".

{nIteb jImob} "Acting by myself, I am alone." (Perhaps you are clarifying
that nobody has isolated you.)

{jImob jIH neH} "I alone (i.e., only I) am alone". (Perhaps you are the
only one without a partner at a social dance.)

If you're at a social event and you hide in the corner because you want to,
but you're not the only loner there, you could still say {nIteb jImob} but
not {jImob jIH neH}.

Of course, both words cover the same idea. Examples show the difference: