[tlhIngan Hol] 'entepray''a'?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Nov 17 09:53:23 PST 2018

> * Using a dialect or slang where forming questions this way is allowed

> * Adding the verb suffix "-'a'" to a noun, after all

> * Some combination of some of the above possibilities

> * Something else

While it's difficult to say for sure, I'd say this is probably either slang or an example of mu'mey ru' - "words or phrases [...] coined for a specific occasion, intentionally violating grammatical rules in order to have an impact". As KGT mentions, "A common way to create these constructions is to bend the grammatical rules somewhat, violating the norm in a way that is so obvious that there is no question that it is being done intentionally."

Based on the dialogue in the rest of the film, Klaa speaks the same dialect that we're used to, and is no doubt aware that -'a' is a verb suffix. However, he's also young and brash; perhaps he relaxed his grammar in the heat of the moment, or perhaps his disregard for proper grammar conveys his irreverence for authority in general (kind of reading a lot into it, but it does fit his character).

It could also be an example of clipped Klingon, albeit of a variety we haven't seen elsewhere.

//loghaD