[tlhIngan Hol] “A warrior’s drink”

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 08:08:53 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 8:08 AM, Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net> wrote:

> Or perhaps it’s because pIqaD isn’t a phonetic system at all. I don’t
> remember where I read this, but wasn’t there something along the lines of
> “little is known about pIqaD, except that it is not an alphabet” somewhere?
> Maybe in TKD itself? Of course, the KLI pIqaD is precisely an alphabet, but
> perhaps that wasn’t Okrand’s intention. Written Chinese, being an
> logographic system, is “well suited” to representing a whole family of
> spoken languages whose spoken forms are mutually unintelligible.

​Okrand discusses it a little here:
http://klingonska.org/canon/1997-10-17-news.txt

I do feel like the stuff about how pIqaD wasn't an alphabet was just to
provide a bit of cover for the fact that the pIqaD seen on various displays
in the series is just gibberish, similarly to how a lot of the gibberish
from TNG and DS9 was just shoved into a closet labelled "no' Hol" but with
no further analysis. Maybe the alphabetic system seen in Discovery is a
simpler version that was only used in certain contexts, or that fell into
disuse at some point.