[tlhIngan Hol] xifan hol: k and q

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Sat Jun 2 13:32:05 PDT 2018

>> On Jun 2, 2018, at 14:24, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>> On 6/2/2018 3:08 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
>> boQwI' gives you an option of using k -> {q} or {Q}, is that something feasible on your end?

Right, when I ported boQwI' to iOS I made this a choice as well, but in this case, I’m using xifan hol as the internal representation of Klingon text, so I have to pick one or the other. It’s easy enough to throw up a front end to accept tlhIngan Hol (or even the opposite xifan hol), so I guess ultimately it doesn’t matter what choice I make except for people who are preparing corpora for training. I just get hung up on these types of choices when the choice is a purely personal preference, and I feel like I’m imposing my own preference on others.

>> I prefer to use boQwI' with k -> {Q}, since I can just use q for {q}. But I have noticed that some fonts use k for {q} and q for {Q} (or, technically, they use K for {q} and Q for {Q}, since the fonts map pIqaD to capital letters). I think I might be in the minority on this one.
>
> I prefer k -> q. In transliteration, k that isn't part of a cluster nearly always ends up as q, while kr tends to be the transliteration of Q. Since native English speakers consider k simpler than consonant clusters of k, and since k is more common than q, and q is odd to an English speaker with a following u, I think k is more suitable for q. It's just a bias for an arbitrary choice though, not a logical argument for it.

Yes, this is essentially the same reason my preference is for k = q.

>> (Obviously, we should ask Okrand to make a ruling one way or another, just to sort it out.)
>
> A ruling on what? Okrand isn't in charge of keyboard mappings or anything like that; he isn't even in charge of what Klingon LOOKS like. All he knows is what Maltz tells him, and Maltz will just say Klingon computers already have pIqaD on them, so there's no mapping issue.

Yeah, I don’t think there needs to be an official position on this one way or another; I just wanted to get an idea as to how annoyed people who prefer k = Q would be if you had k = q forced on you.