[tlhIngan Hol] xifan hol: k and q

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Jun 2 12:24:51 PDT 2018

On 6/2/2018 3:08 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> boQwI' gives you an option of using k -> {q} or {Q}, is that something
> feasible on your end?
>
> I prefer to use boQwI' with k -> {Q}, since I can just use q for {q}.
> But I have noticed that some fonts use k for {q} and q for {Q} (or,
> technically, they use K for {q} and Q for {Q}, since the fonts map
> pIqaD to capital letters). I think I might be in the minority on this
> one.

I prefer /k/ -> *q*. In transliteration, /k/ that isn't part of a
cluster nearly always ends up as *q,* while /kr/ tends to be the
transliteration of *Q. *Since native English speakers consider /k/
simpler than consonant clusters of /k,/ and since /k /is more common
than /q,/ and /q /is odd to an English speaker with a following /u,/ I
think /k/ is more suitable for *q.* It's just a bias for an arbitrary
choice though, not a logical argument for it.

> (Obviously, we should ask Okrand to make a ruling one way or another,
> just to sort it out.)

A ruling on what? Okrand isn't in charge of keyboard mappings or
anything like that; he isn't even in charge of what Klingon LOOKS like.
All he knows is what Maltz tells him, and Maltz will just say Klingon
computers already have *pIqaD* on them, so there's no mapping issue.