[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tey

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 21:16:04 PDT 2018

ghItlhpu' Voragh, jatlh:

> N.B. do not confuse with the homonym {tey} "be uncomfortable,  be close".

jangpu' nIqolay, jatlh:

> Is this really a homonym? When the word was revealed, I got the impression

> it was more of an idiomatic meaning of {tey} rather than a separate word.

I suppose the answer would lie in whether or not one can say ??{yay tey} "a close victory".

jang je SuStel, jatlh:

> It's probably a reference to shaving.

Perhaps, though I think more likely is the phrasal verb "scrape by". From Merriam-Webster:

1: to live with barely enough money; to be able to buy only the things most needed.
    Money was tight, but we somehow managed to scrape by.
2 : to succeed at doing something but just barely.
    He didn't study for the exam and just barely scraped by.

QeS 'utlh