[tlhIngan Hol] “Some nights ago” / julwIj wov SoHbej

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sat Jun 9 14:13:25 PDT 2018

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net> wrote:

> Oh, another question that came up while doing this one: what grammatical
> gender does something not capable of language take when one wants to
> express that a being capable of language is metaphorically that thing? For
> example, to say “you are my sun”, should it be julwIj SoH, or julwI' SoH?

Canon is not consistent enough to provide a firm rule, but the handles
called *DeSqIvDu'* *elbows* on a *nevDagh* cooking pot get the "body part"
plural. I tend to go with the idea that the word itself usually provides
the category, and here I would say *julwIj*. You're not actually referring
to a speech-capable sun, so I don't think using the non-speech-capable
possessive carries a derogatory implication.

-- ghunchu'wI'