[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing location and “prettier than all others” / Hoch DechtaH tI nIl

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jun 12 12:19:16 PDT 2018

On 6/12/2018 3:03 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> Another example from ST5:
>
> <qIbDaq SuvwI''e'> SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS
> You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy. (ST5)

Yes, that's the one I was referring to. I type it so often, sometimes I
get tired of doing so.

> And while we’re on the topic, here are some more ways of using
> law’/puS (I’ve bracketed the introductory phrase/clause) :
>
> <jonlu'meH> wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
> Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. (ST5 notes)

I wonder if this isn't using *jonlu'meH wo'maj pop* as a noun phrase.
Instead of /In order to capture, our empire's reward is the biggest,/
it's /our empire reward for capturing./ Actually, I'd prefer to see it
as *wo'maj jonmeH pop,* but Okrand's purpose clauses are all pretty
weird for /Star Trek V./