[tlhIngan Hol] "rookie" vs "veteran"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 13 06:23:50 PDT 2018

Am 13.07.2018 um 07:02 schrieb Alan Anderson:
>> I am trying to find a pair of relatively simple words that I can use
>> to label people as the equivalent of rookies (it's their first time
>> experiencing something) or veterans (they've been through it before).
>> I like {chu'wI'} "newcomer", but I can't decide what to use as its
>> counterpart. Have any of you ever needed this kind of distinction, and
>> if so, did you come up with anything satisfactory?

Didn't we used to use {chu'wI'} back when this list started -- in the 1990's? - for novice, newcomer to the list, or
newcomer (to the KLI's old "Klingon Educational Virtual Environment" MUSH ).  In fact, Keith DeCandido used it in his novel "Klingon Empire: A Burning House":

(KEBH):  Literally means trigger but has also come to be slang for rookie or beginner (or newbie).

IIRC some people liked the fact that it also meant trigger, as novices' questions would often trigger interesting discussions.

Lieven:
> That's indeed an interesting question. My first idea was {po'wI'} but that's
> way more than just "having done something". If you prefer a general term,
> maybe {taHwI'} can work, but I think that sounds odd.
>   [....]
> PS: veteran in the military sense might be {SuvwI' po'} or {SuvwI' qan}.

Not all veterans are {po'} -- they may just have been {Do'}.  <g>

If you don't like De'vID's suggestion of {ngo'wI'}, I rather like {taHwI'} "one who endures, survivor".  In fact I was going to suggest it myself before I saw Lieven already had.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons