[tlhIngan Hol] "rookie" vs "veteran"

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Jul 12 23:45:29 PDT 2018

Am 13.07.2018 um 07:02 schrieb Alan Anderson:
> I am trying to find a pair of relatively simple words that I can use to
> label people as the equivalent of rookies (it's their first time
> experiencing something) or veterans (they've been through it before). I
> like {chu'wI'} "newcomer", but I can't decide what to use as its
> counterpart. Have any of you ever needed this kind of distinction, and
> if so, did you come up with anything satisfactory?

That's indeed an interesting question. My first idea was {po'wI'} but
that's way more than just "having done something". If you prefer a
general term, maybe {taHwI'} can work, but I think that sounds odd.

Instead of using a generel term, I'd suggest using the verb of action,
for instance {Sopta'bogh vay'} "someone who has eaten already".

In a game, the {chu'wI'} is the new one, while the {QujwI'} is a player,
who is playing already. Maybe even woith a suffix {QujtaHwI'}.

Or, my last suggestion, is not to use any general term at all, and just
say what's going on:

- {chu'wI' ghaH'a'?}
- {ghobe'. wa'Hu' paw 'ej Hoch leghpu'.}

- "Is she a newbie?"
- "No, she arrived yesterday and has seen everything."

PS: veteran in the military sense might be {SuvwI' po'} or {SuvwI' qan}.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"