[tlhIngan Hol] Some more from Maltz

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Jan 1 14:10:56 PST 2018

Indeed; since the word "prophet" is often used to refer to a sort of messenger of the gods (a {Qun Duy['a']}, perhaps, or a {Qun QumpIn} (slightly tongue-in-cheek)), I would imagine that a prophet may or may not be a fortune teller depending on what that message contains, and a fortune teller may or may not be a prophet depending on their method of telling the future.

For example, a prophet who gives god-given advice about morality and reveals information about creation but reveals nothing of the future would not be a {tuch rutwI'}.
Meanwhile, somebody who uses astrology to tell the future would be a {tuch rItwI'}, but may or may not be a prophet, depending on your use of that word (and your/their views on astrology).

With both {tuch rItwI'} and {qut}, I wonder if the use of these words says something about whether or not the speaker believes them.
Does using the word {tuch rItwI'} to describe somebody suggest that you believe them, while calling them a {qutwI'} suggests that you don't?
Or does the addition of the "(suspected to be fraudulent)" to the definition of {qut} only reflect Maltz' own opinion on fortune-telling, while an astrologer might proudly admit to being a {qutwI'}? Sort of like the way that the word "homeopathy" is practically synonymous with pseudoscience in many people's minds while others swear by it.

> Okrand suggested a way to say "polite" in Klingon, using {DochHa'}.

Related words:

{yI'} - "speak in an honorable or respectful fashion"
{SeQ} - "be formal, be ritualistic, be ceremonial"
{Qut} - "be vulgar"
{tay} - "be civilized" (not certain if this would be used to describe individuals, societies, customs or all of the above)

//loghaD