[tlhIngan Hol] Maltz about castles

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Jan 2 06:29:03 PST 2018

>From the description, I take it «jem'IH» could also be translated as "fortress" or "(permanent) military base" (see also: «waw'»), at least if it's a particularly grand one.
Fort Knox strikes me as a non-castle that might be called a «jem'IH».

I suppose a mansion that is built both for grandeur and defense might be called a «DuHmorHom», or perhaps just an outright «DuHmor» if it's grand enough.
Perhaps to clarify that it serves as a home, you could call it a «juH DuHmor».

A grand mausoleum such as the Taj Mahal might perhaps be called «nol DuHmor». Not sure about its defenses, though; perhaps it's more of a «nol qach'a'».

From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> on behalf of Lieven <levinius at gmx.de>
Sent: Monday, January 1, 2018 10:32:26 PM
To: tlhingan-hol at kli.org
Subject: [tlhIngan Hol] Maltz about castles

SPOILER FREE information from Maltz about a word used in the Klingon
subtitles of Star Trek: Discovery: a "palace".

In English, a "castle" is (typically) a building built for protection or
fortification. It can, but doesn't have to be, pretty fancy, but its
primary function is defense. A "palace," on the other hand, is
(typically) a building built to show off wealth, power, and/or
importance, but it's not necessarily the best place to be during a battle.

Having said that, in day-to-day 21st-Century English, the distinction
isn't always so clear.

For Klingons, the distinction is also a little murky, since they would
never construct a "palace" (a home for the emperor or some other
important person) that was not designed deal with battles.  They might
construct a "castle," though, that wasn't particularly lavish and not a
suitable place for an official residence of the emperor.

The word for such a structure — elegant or otherwise -- is {jem'IH}.
The emperor's castle/palace is simply {ta' jem'IH}.

If, however, the emphasis is to be on the elegance or grandeur of the
{jem'IH}, there's another word that can be used: {DuHmor}. A {DuHmor} is
a type of {jem'IH}, so it's a good place for the emperor to hang out.
For clarify, you can say {ta' DuHmor}.  The emperor's official residence
would more likely be referred to as a {DuHmor} than a {jem'IH}, but not
necessarily always.

Klingon ships, of course, are battle-ready, so any ship designed to be
the residence of the emperor might, I suppose, be referred to as a
{jem'IH} or {ta' jem'IH}. And if it's a particularly grand place, then
{DuHmor} or {ta' DuHmor} could make sense. (Maybe those are short for
{jem'IH Duj} and {DuHmor Duj}.)

Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"
tlhIngan-Hol mailing list
tlhIngan-Hol at lists.kli.org

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list