[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "all of us"

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 16:37:24 PST 2018

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 4:14 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sometime ago, I had asked of a way to say "all of us", as if in "all of us
> like cats".
>
> In particular, I had asked if we could write {vIghro' DImuSHa' Hoch}. And
> as we had said back then, we can't say something like this because it would
> violate the accord rule.
>
> maj.
>
> However, I just had an idea, which I would like to discuss.
>
> Why not write:
>
> {vIghro'mey DImuSHa' maH Hoch} ?
> all of us love cats
>
> Does it violate any rule ? I think it is correct and grammatical. Let
> alone that we could place an {-'e'} on the {Hoch} for added emphasis, thus
> writing {vIghro'mey DImuSHa' maH Hoch'e'}.

I think there's a few instances of "all of us" in paq'batlh that were just
translated as {maH} or some first-person-plural prefix, so you could
probably get away with just {maH}.

But if it's important to convey the specific notion of "all of us", then
{maH Hoch} "the entirety of us" is probably an acceptable way to express
that basic idea. If {maH Hoch} works, then {Hochmaj} might be even better.

​That said, as you've got it written, it still violates the rule of accord.
The subject is {Hoch}, not {maH}​, so you'd still use a
third-person-subject prefix. {vIghro'mey muSHa' maH Hoch/Hochmaj}.