[tlhIngan Hol] Adverbiality and the verb {Da}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 9 10:24:50 PST 2018

On 2/9/2018 1:15 PM, kechpaja at comcast.net wrote:
> While I like the original idea, the most Klingon way to do that would
> probably be to use {rur} “to resemble”, which is this case would be
> best translated with the English word “like”:
>
> Suv ghaH, yoHwI’ rur.

I disagree about *rur* being the best way to translate this. You're not
trying to make a simile; you're attributing actual behavior to
something. The fighter doesn't just resemble someone brave; the fighter
behaves as someone brave behaves.

Again, it's wrong to look for a formula to say this sort of thing. Just
because English says something one way does not mean Klingon says it the
same way. Find other ways. In this case there are a lot of other ways.
It's not like Klingon is crippled without English /-ly./