[tlhIngan Hol] where the {'e'} of a sao refers

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Feb 7 08:02:14 PST 2018

On 2/7/2018 10:53 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> By "dependent clauses on either half of a sao", you mean the {tlhIngan
> maH; taHjaj}

No. *tlhIngan maH; taHjaj* is not a sentence as object as defined by
TKD. It is two sentences, pushed together because they're closely related.

You /could/ put dependent clauses on either of these sentences and it
would still be grammatical (though it would mean something else).

*maquvchugh tlhIngan maH; taHjaj
tlhIngan maH maquvchugh; taHjaj
*/If we are honorable, we are Klingon; may it continue./

*tlhIngan maH; maquvchugh taHjaj
tlhIngan maH; taHjaj maquvchugh
*/We are Klingon; if we are honorable, may it continue./

When I say "dependent clause," I mean a verbal clause with a type 9
suffix on the verb that makes it need to have a main clause. These are
described in TKD as "subordinate clauses," "relative clauses," and
"purpose clauses."