[tlhIngan Hol] The soldier encounters fear

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Feb 2 01:37:15 PST 2018

I've been asked to translate these lines, and I wanted to share them
with you because they sound very klingon-like.

On the eve of battle on a cold and windless night,
an old general turned to a young soldier.
may' nungbogh ram, bIr muD 'ej SuS Hutlh.
mang QupvaD jatlh Sa' qan.

"Tomorrow," said the master, "you will know fear."

The young soldier who had not yet experienced the agony of war looked at
the general with quizzical eyes.
not veS bep SIQpu' mang Qup. vaj Sa' ghel.

"How will I know fear if I do not know what it looks like?"
»not mubam wanI'vetlh. vIghIjlu' chay' 'e' vISov?«

The general replied,
jang Sa',

"You will know fear because it speaks very fast and it speaks very loud."
»DaghIjlu'DI' nom jachqu' maQ 'ej chuSqu' QIn.«

If that is how fear acts, recognizing it is easy.
reH chuSchugh QInDaj, vaj ngeDbej 'oH ghovmeH Qu'.

As the young soldier considered the general's advice,
he asked the question facing him now.
Sa' qeS buSDI' mang Qup, bambogh ghu'mo' ghel ghaH.

"Once I know fear, how do I defeat it?"
»vIghIjlu'DI', chay' ghu' vIjeylaH?«

The general replied, "The only way to defeat fear is to tell it, 'No'."
jang Sa': »ghIjbogh maQ jeylu'meH, 'oHvaD ja'nISlu': Qo'.«

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"