[tlhIngan Hol] Orion

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Dec 10 23:03:59 PST 2018

Am 09.12.2018 um 07:42 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> I just saw naHqun post on qabpaq, that we have received a word for
> "orion" {'oray} {'orayya'}.
>
> I wasn't aware of this; when did we receive this word ? Was there any
> explanation accompanying it ?

I just dug out the relevant message from the communication between Marc
Qov and me, and it seems obvious that we just forgot forwarding the
entire bit due to all of the excitement and time pressure during the
production of the show.

Here are Okrand's thoughts about it:

----
I'd probably go with {'orayya'} to match other planet (and place) names
ending with {-ya'} like {DenIbya'} and {'orghenya'}. But there are also
non-{-ya'} versions of these: {DenIb}, {'orghen}. It's not clear why
{-ya'} is (apparently) optional, but, given that that seems to be the
case, there could be both {'orayya'} and {'oray}. All of which is a long
way of saying that your {'oray} for "Orion" (the planet) and {'orayngan}
for "Orion" the person/being/inhabitant are fine (as are {'orayya'} and
{'orayya'ngan}).

(footnote: Actually, In TKD, {DenIb} and {DenIbya'} are both glossed
"Denebia."  But that's an error.  The planet name in English is Deneb,
not Denebia. But this coming-and-going -ya' thing crept its way into the
English side of the dictionary somehow. HIvqa' veqlargh! The Klingon,
however, is correct: there are two versions of this name.)
----

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"