[tlhIngan Hol] Using {'ar} without a noun

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Wed Aug 22 07:23:41 PDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:37 AM, David Holt <kenjutsuka at live.com> wrote:

> The Klingon dictionary is clear that numbers "may stand alone as subjects
> or objects or they may modify another noun." It is an easy logical leap to
> treat {'ar} in the same way, but {'ar} is not a type of number and so that
> may not be allowed.  TKD says only that {'ar} "follows the noun to which it
> refers." Does anyone know if any canon which uses {'ar} as a stand alone
> subject or object? What do you think of that use of it and particularly if
> teaching that use of it?

In Power Klingon, it's apparently used as a standalone *verb*:

"If somehow you find something you are permitted to buy, such as food you
can eat right away, you will need to know how to ask only one question:
<How much?> {'ar.}"

In its typical use following a noun, I think of {'ar} as an interrogative
adjective.

-- ghunchu'wI'