[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: patlhmoH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 9 06:52:13 PDT 2018

Klingon word: patlhmoH
Part of speech: verb
Definition: rank, assign status, sort, compare
Source: Email from Lieven 2018-02-06

(Lieven < MO, 2/05/2018):  Perhaps the verb {patlh} "be ranked, have a status, be graded" will work.  The form {patlhmoH} would mean "rank, assign status, sort" and also "compare".  When used with the "compare" meaning, of course, the object of the verb is always plural.  The implication that if two (or more) things are ranked or sorted, they're ranked in comparison to one another.

(Lieven < MO, 2/07/2018):  [I see that {patlhmoH} could be used for a captain to grade/promote a person: *{wo'rIv patlhmoH HoD}. Make sense?] Okrand replied: "The sentence is fine. It means something like 'The captain ranked Worf', that is, the captain made a judgment about how well Worf was doing or how valuable Worf was compared to someone else or to a group (or, I suppose, 'The captain graded Worf').

SEE  ALSO:
buv 		classify (v)
poj 		analyze (v)
chov 		assess, evaluate, test (v)
gher 		compile (v)

num 		promote (v)
cho' 		succeed (to authority) (v)
gheS 		assume duties of, take on responsibilities (v)
Sugh 		install [in office] (v)

--
Voragh
tlhIngan nompuq pIn'a'